Let’s give a computer classroom to children in Sri Lanka!
IVG is proud to partner with Plan International Japan. 100% of your team registration and donations raised through Japan Giving (excluding charge for using the system) will go to Plan International. Let’s fundraise 6.5 million yen and send a computer classroom to children in Sri Lanka!
Create your team challenge page!
Create your team challenge page, send to friends, and fundraise for Plan International and Sri-Lanka.
How will your donations from the Yamathon will be used?
Your donations will be used for the construction of a computer classroom in Sri Lanka(*1).
Please watch the video below for messages from a student, a teacher and a parent of the school where the project will be implemented.
- ICT (Information and Communication Technology) literacy through computers and internet has been promoted after the education reforms in 1999 in Sri Lanka. However, education quality at public schools in rural areas are low and there are significant disparities in achievement between urban and rural areas.
- The Anuradhapura district has been in an early stage of recovery from civil war (*2) of 30 years and in the process of demilitarization.
- A total 150 students from grade 1-9 (primary and secondary school) go to this school. They do not have access to computers due to the lack of facilities, even though it is compulsory to allocate ICT classes for secondary education according to the Ministry of Education.
- People who do not have computer literacy and skills are left behind from the current job market, as having ICT skills has become the basic requisite to get a decent job in Sri Lanka.
Improvement of ICT environment at school through the construction of a computer classroom for children to acquire ICT knowledge which will be essential in their future.
- Construction of a computer classroom at school
- Provision of 10 desktop computers and a photocopy machine
- Provision of internet facilities, multimedia projector, and screen
- Provision of required furniture
- Capacity building program for teachers and students
(*1) In case the total amount of donations does not reach the targeted amount, the donations will be used for another project.
(*2 ) Civil War between government forces and LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) from 1983 to 2009.
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice. Plan places a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. When disasters or conflict threatens children’s lives and well-being, Plan is quick to respond. Together, we are transforming lives.
To inspire YOU to take initiative
Using Yamathon as a platform to raise even more money.
The Yamathon has always and will always be a fundraising challenge. Of course 100% of your team registration fee and donations through Japan Giving (excluding charge for using the system) goes to Plan International Japan. We will be able to give a computer classroom to children in Sri Lanka with 6.5 million yen. We want YOU to take action.
- Online fundraising has never been easier. By clicking on the link above, help us raise even more money for children in Sri Lanka by creating your online fundraising page and sharing it with your friends and family.
- Why? With 6.5 million yen, we will be able to give children in Sri Lanka a computer classroom which will be essential to their futures.
- The more money we raise, the more we can give back to them and that is what this event is all about – helping others and having a great time doing it.
- So empower yourselves and empower those in the process – set up a page and let’s make it happen!